The Cancer Moonshot, originally conceptualized by President Joe Biden while serving as Vice President in 2016, aims to accelerate progress against cancer through public and private ventures with the overarching goals: (1) decrease the mortality rate by at least 50% over the next 25 years and (2) create long-lasting programs and initiatives to support individuals across the oncology journey between diagnosis and survivorship.1
Pack Health, a Quest Diagnostics company, hosted a roundtable discussion on Thursday, January 19, 2023 with the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and the Office of Governmental Affairs at Quest Diagnostics, that focused on aligning Quest Diagnostics cancer screening and survivorship efforts with the current endeavors of the Cancer Moonshot.
- Kelly Brassil, PhD, RN, FAAN, COACH Study Investigator and Director, Medical Affairs and Research, Pack Health, a Quest Diagnostics company
- Kristie Dolan, Vice President/General Manager, Oncology Franchise, Quest Diagnostics
- Trudy Buckingham, MSPH, Executive Director, Global Head of Patient Engagement, Gilead Sciences
- Liz Holland, RN, Medical Affairs Director, Oncology Franchise, Quest Diagnostics
- Marissa Johnson, NBC-HWC, Supervisor, Health Advising, Pack Health, a Quest Diagnostics company
- Marilyn Hammer, PhD, DC, RN, FAAN, Director, Phyllis F. Cantor Center, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Leo Saligan, PhD, RN, FAAN, Senior Tenured Investigator, Symptoms Biology Unit, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute of Nursing Research
- Mazi Rasulina, PhD, VP, Pack Health, a Quest Diagnostics company
The discussion highlighted the Spot the SpotTM skin cancer screening campaign2 and the study titled “Comprehensive Outcomes for After Cancer Health (COACH): The Feasibility and Impact of an mHealth Augmented Coaching Program for Self-Management in Cancer Survivors Who Have Completed Primary Cancer Therapy”.3 With both projects elevating patient-centered oncology care, the Spot the Spot campaign and the COACH Study4 align perfectly with the mission of the Cancer Moonshot.
Cancer Moonshot panelists (left to right), including Kelly Brassil, Director of Medical Affairs and Research, Pack Health, Marissa Johnson, Supervisor of Health Advising, Pack Health, Mazi Rasulina, VP of Pack Health
Currently in progress at multiple study sites, COACH participants receive digital health coaching and support from Pack Health to help manage post-primary treatment needs. During the roundtable, study stakeholders discussed how it exemplified the impact digital health coaching has on patient-related outcomes.
“The COACH study reflects nurse-led, interprofessional research that was designed to address patient-centered needs beyond the bell, a time that while associated with the completion of primary therapy, is often fraught with long-term complications across multiple health domains. This study’s aim is to enhance quality of life as individuals live longer due to treatment advances,” Dr Brassil said.
- The White House. Cancer Moonshot. Accessed March 24, 2023. https://www.whitehouse.gov/cancermoonshot/
- Spot The Spot. Dermpath Diagnostics. Accessed March 24, 2023. https://www.spotthespot.org/
- Comprehensive Outcomes for After Cancer Health (COACH). ClinicalTrials.gov. Accessed March 24, 2023. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05349227
- The Pack Health Team. Introducing the COACH Study: Revitalizing Cancer Survivorship Support with Digital Health Coaching. Newsroom. March 30, 2023. Accessed April 4, 2023. https://www.packhealth.com/news-coach-study-announcement/