Quinoa is a protein-packed, high fiber grain, celebrated as a superfood for the abundance of nutrients it contains. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants: quinoa’s got a long list of benefits, but on its own, it’s kind of bland. We’ve seen recipes for quinoa porridge, but we’re skeptical. Instead we recommend a quinoa burrito bowl.
You can prepare pretty much everything except the egg in advance, so if you’re into meal-prep, we recommend prepping and portioning out your quinoa, black beans, salsa, and avocado over the weekend. Then all you have to do in the morning is put an egg on it and enjoy!
½ cup quinoa
½ cup black beans
¼ avocado, sliced
2 tbsp salsa
1. Cook your quinoa ahead – 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa in a pot makes 3 cups.
2. Cook your black beans ahead, or save time by buying low sodium beans that have already been prepared.
3. Use a premade salsa, or make your own by mixing up some fine-chopped tomato, onion, garlic, and cilantro with some lemon juice.
4. Slice up 1/4 of an avocado. Protip: Leaving the avocado pit in a leftover avocado and/or putting a little lemon juice on your slices will help it stay fresh!
5. Crack an egg in a skillet and let it cook to your preferred consistency.
6. Build your burrito bowl!